* NoteTab NoteTab is a leadingedge and HTML editor. Winner of software industry awards since , this application does it all it easily handles a stack of huge files; lets you format to your heart;s content; does systemwide searches, and multiline global replacements. It even corrects your spelling mistakes. Formats
* MySmartFolders My SmartFolders introduces a new way to organize your data! My SmartFolders organizes your files, web links and Outlook items, grouping them based on their relationships. Attach tags to your files, web sites and Outlook items and then they appear in your SmartFolders based on those tags, according to your specifications. It;s , yet very powerful. You can apply this concept to any aspect of your work, for any business and for any kind of data that you store on your computer or over the network. My SmartFolders benefits you and your company in three ways. First, you can organize your data according to tags. Second, you can pull together files/data stored in separate locations, on your hard disk and over the network. Third, web sites and Outlook items are treated like files, so you can use one organizational tool, My SmartFolders, to organize your work. Put this all together and you have a very intuitive way to organize your data. Pull together files scattered in various folders on your harddisk, your home or company network, and on removable drives with My SmartFolders. Without moving a single file from its current location, you can organize your view of these files in any folder configuration. In ct, you can set up multiple folder configurations simultaneously! Not only can you organize files and folders, but My SmartFolders is also integrated with Outlook and Internet Explorer. This allows you to collect varied forms of data all within Windows Explorer, in your SmartFolders. Join the growing number of My SmartFolders aficionados and find out how your computer time can be more organized and more efficient.
For those who want the best. NoteTab Pro offers all the features HTML authors, programmers, and other demanding users need to speed up their work. Best of all, it;s programmable! The full version adds a thesaurus and a multilingual spell checker. There;s a lot more to NoteTab Pro;and it;s unbeale value at US..
* InfoSelect Info Select is the awardwinning Personal Information Manager that organizes Internet data, notes, todo;s, schedules, contacts, addresses, forms, ideas, s, and much more.
* ActionOutline ActionOutline store and arrange all your information in a tree outline form! Build outlined freeform storage for your thoughts, ideas and information in an intuitive way! You come up with this brilliant thought, or maybe your mother just sent you a recipe for her new chicken casserole. What do you do with this information? With ActionOutline you now have a place to put all your info and thoughts! A yet useful organizer, ActionOutline consists of an Explorerlike intece where you can store and arrange all your information in a tree outline form. Arrange items using your keyboard or mouse, cut and paste branches, place checks or tags next to listed items, search information, print data, export to the external file, or link to web or local files. ActionOutline can be your beall, endall solution to organizing your life. When you want it out of sight simply minimize it to your system tray where it;s available for your next fleeting thought or item. The possibilities for its use are practically endless todo lists, recipes, project notes, personal contacts, bookmark lists, reports, term s and more. ActionOutline lets you handle multiple outlines with ease, thanks to the new bed multidocument intece. And with Network Edition of ActionOutline you can share your outlines on the network!
o Rave reviews by users, especially for its most recent version
* DevonThink Meet DEVONthink ? designed to manage and keep in order all those disparate pieces of information so important to your work or studies. As you become more experienced with DEVONthink and its easy, intuitive intece you will quickly find more exciting ways of using your data. DEVONthink comes in a number of flavors tailored to different needs and user s
* InfoHandler MDE InfoHandler is a multipurpose information manager for your PC and Pocket PC that you can use to organize notes, documents, web links, email and news messages, dates, programs, and more, using a uniform and sophisticated intece. It features a very powerful categorization method including hierarchical organization of categories, masterslave relationships, and number categories, and efficient automatic categorization based on analyzing the of an info item InfoItem or of linked documents. Another special features are two universal time stamps which you can set freely and use for sorting or filtering the item list. The InfoItems are stored in special daases called InfoBases and you can have several different windows for the same InfoBase simultaneously open side by side. You can view the InfoItems either as a le sorted by three of its columns or as a set of trees formed by hierarchically structured category groups possibly constrained by setup filters for categories or time. Many kinds of drag drop include dragging web links and documents from browsers, emails from MS Outlook Express, creating InfoItems as a result. You can also drag InfoItems between InfoBases copying or moving them. Active links to external objects include those to web s and documents as well as between InfoItems in the same or in different InfoBases. The of an InfoItem can be richly formatted and you can store paragraph and/or character formats for later reapplication manually or automatically using a findreplace dialog. Other features include several methods for search, alarms bound to InfoItems, flexible print options, customizable s, various data export and import including with the Pocket PC companion, and the InfoShooter which lets you create new InfoItems on the fly. InfoHandler can be of help if you are using your PC on a daily basis to assist you with your professional or hobbyist requirements to master a flood of information.
* Opal Opal lets you organize just about anything ? ideas, reports, lists, notes, projects, graphics ? in the form of an outline. Opal;s elegant, uncluttered intece stays out of your way so you can capture notes efficiently. You;re free to organize ? and reorganize ? however you like. You can always find information later, using st filtering or Spotlight. Or keep it out of your way by shrinking long topics or focusing on part of a document. Prioritize lists with flexible sorting. Track projects with smart checkboxes. Multiple selection lets you work ster. Streamlined and responsive, Opal is truly your digital notepad. Opal will be miliar to anyone who ever used the popular and reliable Acta outliner. However, it;s completely rewritten for Mac OS X.
o The Deluxe Edition costs and Pro Edition costs only, both with free updates for years. Runs on Windows.
o Its main advantage is a lightning st search tool
* OmniOutliner Probably the strongest combination of features and usability. Very good support for columns can be used as a hierarchical spreadsheet like Ecco, but with autorecalculating math, rich support for s can be used directly as a word processor to generate print output, hoisting, adjunct sections view depth controllable by section, line comments and autohiding, fully programmable through AppleScript
* NoteLens NoteLens is a notetaking tool that is so st, it lets you concentrate on your notes not on the intece. NoteLens is designed to help you stay in the flow. You never spend time deciding where to store notes, save them, or even give them names. NoteLens takes care of that for you. With a lightning st full indexing system, you can quickly find any note just by typing any word all of the notes containing that word will be pulled up as you . NoteLens integrates with Microsoft Outlook. You can import notes from Outlook, and then keep NoteLens and Outlook synced. Although you don;t need Outlook to take advantage of NoteLens. With Microsoft ActiveSync, your notes will be synced with your Microsoft Pocket PC. NoteLens even syncs contacts and email, so you can have integrated super st access to all of your critical information. And you can rely on NoteLens with confidence, knowing that they are backed up in Outlook and also stored in a format so you;ll never be locked in.
Purely information management software, both PC and Mac
o Award winning software; people seem to like it because the scripting and export capabilities are very powerful.
o Professional and Academic , Superset , Porle USB for Windows.
* Surfulater With Surfulater you can permanently save anything you find on the web, in other applications and on your hard drive, and organize it in ways you haven;t dreamt of yet. For starters you can categorize, cross reference and do full searches. Plus tag, annotate and edit whatever you have saved to make it all the more valuable. And of course you can find anything in a flash. Surfulater the super smart way to build a permanent, personal digital reference library, one you can even carry around with you.
* Scrivener Scrivener is a word processor and project management tool created specifically for writers of long s such as novels and research s. It won;t try to tell you how to write it just makes all the tools you have scattered around your desk available in one application.
* GoBinder Collect. Schedule. Find. Compile PrintFree Research;GoBinder can turn web s, PDF;s, Word documents, PowerPoint presentations, class handouts, and more into digital , which you can highlight and annotate just like printed . Annotate Digitally; Take notes directly on your professor;s presentation or class handout using a keyboard or Tablet stylus. Sketch charts, diagrams, add les or shapes right alongside your d notes. Take Faster Notes with AutoOutliner;Quickly record lecture notes in autooutline mode. Use bullets or numbers and quickly navigate up to six level deep with s and back s. Personal Learning Archive;Store all your downloaded, d, even handwritten school stuff in a personal learning archive. Easily create s for each of your courses, than organize class materials by date, by lecture, or whatever makes sense to you. Power Find;Search every d, downloaded, even handwritten word from one place. Refine searches by course, category, and/or folders. Use it to quickly outline s or study for exams. Answer Flags; Flag key concepts, questions, and todo;s. Even create custom flags so you can immediately locate important information. Use flags to quickly create your own flash cards, answer keys, or crib sheets. See the Whole Picture;See a single snapshot of all your classes; due dates, tests, and assignments with day, week and monthview calendars. Easily Categorize;Color code your courses and personal life and their associated appointments, tasks, and contacts. Link inidual items like team meetings, team members, and assignment details together. Prioritize;Prioritize tasks with userdefined codes. Set alarms and reminders for important due dates. Share Data with Outlook your Palm
o and available for use on the web or the iphone or for download on Windows, Mac OS X
o for download on Windows; part of MSFT Office Suite Package
Here is a list of PIMs I assembled based on all of the messages archived on this group. I hope it is useful.
o For download on Windows; open source, relies on donations
o Come in Standard . and Academic . versions for Mac OS X
o Seems popular among information management users
Lite It includes the references limited features and notes modules. In the references module, users cannot convert temporary citations in a document into formatted citations and a bibliography. Global editing is not available. .
* Nota Bene Nota Bene a word processor for scholars … a bibliographic manager for those who are tired of typing/formatting their own citations and bibliographies … a personal search engine for those who want to find anything they;ve ever written in seconds … a daase manager for those who have things to keep track of … a Hebrew, Greek, Cyrillic, IPA and new! Arabic word processor for those who want more than just s … an Internet search tool for those who need to find and capture bibliographic data … a set of tools for scholars who want to focus on their writing and research … a work of art for scholars who appreciate the finer things in life … a community of scholars.
* ConnectedText ConnectedText is a powerful but information management system, a freeform notetaking and notemanagement application that allows you to keep an unlimited number of notes in one file or many files, instantly accessible by sophisticated full searches that can span all open files; and navigating between topics is a breeze it;s like a notebook with an unlimited number of s which can be linked to one another easily
* OneNote Office OneNote is a digital notebook that provides people one place to gather their notes and information, powerful search to find what they are looking for quickly, and easytouse shared notebooks so that they can manage information overload and work together more effectively.
* TreeDBNotes TreeDBNotes stores and represents your information in a comforle and clear treestructured form. Each node in such ;tree; represents associated note, so you can store a lot of mostly independent notes in one notebook. With any note you can perform main Wordpadlike formatting functions and paragraph s
o Pro and Standard versions for Windows.
* Jot Notes Student and Teacher Edition For reports and thesis s, Jot Notes cannot be beat! Record research notes, references, quotations, citations, useful website URL;s all in one place. Use Jot Notes; powerful search cilities to locate the cts you need quickly. Then use Jot Notes to outline your and even write the final draft.
o for Scholars, for Students for download on Windows
* MyBase myBase is a versatile freeform daase system that allows entry of unstructured , webs, s, documents, emails and even arbitrary files without regard to length or format. All information is compressed with the integrated zip utility and stored in the tree structured outline form. Unlike traditional daase programs, myBase accepts input like a word processor, and provides better methods for capturing, editing, organizing, retrieving, searching and sharing information.
o Extremely popular among users of notebook / organizing software; endorsed by PC Magazine and the Atlantic Monthly;s James Fallow Runs on Windows for .
* Omea Pro Bring all your information together;your email, contacts, documents, files, blogs, transcripts, newsgroups, RSS feeds, pics, web bookmarks, tasks, and instant messages are all in the same place, so you don;t need to look through a slew of programs and applications anymore
o Free for basic, per month or per year for premium on the web or for download on iphone or Windows/Windows Mobile or Mac OS X
* Writer;s Blocks Writer;s Blocks is software for writers who plan, organize, and research their writing projects.
Sync appointments, tasks, and contacts in Microsoft Outlook or a Palm with GoBinder.
* ndxCards ndxCards is a powerful electronic note taking software that helps record, retrieve and recap all your knowledge in whichever form you choose. Anything you read, hear, some boiler plate or a code snippet enter it as note cards and ndxCards can manage it all. In three easy steps First, you can record your freeform notes , pictures, data, charts, interviews using subjects and keywords, sources, authors, picture cards etc.. You can tag them, archive them, classify them and share them with teammates to collaborate. Second, you can flip through your notes using keywords and filters. Retrieve your note cards as outlines, citations,and flashcards. Third, ndxCards? gives your thoughts shape, and life. Recap your notes as presentations, print index cards and so much more! All these and additional features like annotating, setting reminders, classifying, and analyzing notes give you the edge you always wanted to succeed.
NoteTabLight The ultimate free Notepad replacement and a handy HTML editor. Handle a heap of files with a bed intece. Search files, strip HTML tags and format quickly. Build libraries of macros to speed up your work. Formerly called Super NoteTab;. freeware;no ads and no nags.
* SuperNoteCard SuperNotecard is an intuitive tool that uses notecards to capture and organize your ideas. These virtual notecards can be moved into decks, arranged on the screen, or grouped and categorized with ease. Researchers use SuperNotecard to gather cts, manage sources and finally stitch it all together in a way that is significantly more visual and capable than a traditional outlining tool.
o Considered the leading program in this area, but very complex and old school
o Open source for download on Windows; Premium version is
o Unlike Idea Mason, it lacks a reference system
* WhizFolders WhizFolders is outlining software that encourages list based outlining instead of the editor based outlining that you might have seen in other outliners. An outline containing just the titles in a list is easier to manage and needs less scrolling. You can insert wikilike crosslinks going to other notes, web sites and other files on your computer. What is more, the newer version gives you universal links back to WhizFolder notes from other applications like Microsoft Word.
* Rightnote RightNote is a multi notebook that allows you store and organise all your notes in a single place.
o depending on where you buy it for Mac OS X
Professional All the features in the Standard Edition plus the tasks, charts, categories, and composition modules. It can be used to write a book and thesis using the composition module. The Pro edition also includes one concurrent license for BiblioRemote and BiblioWeb for single user remote access. .
o One user says Google has a notebook feature, but it;s very rudimentary. It acts like a large bin into which you can throw your notes. It;s hardly more than what your browser;s bookmarking feature offers with the ability to write in or paste in notes. I;m not that impressed with it, however it does allow sharing if you set up a public notebook.;
o IdeaMason brings together the daase elements of both a bibliographical and information management tool in combination with a virtual writing platform. Store and categorize ideas and research in one comprehensive portfolio. Collect and manage sources in a virtual library. Then use IdeaMason;s revolutionary Composition tool to organize your ideas and manage referenced sources in a single efficient step. When you are ready IdeaMason exports your work into a fullyformatted document complete with footnotes and citations. IdeaMason automatically generates a complete bibliography including annotations in your choice of the following major s APA, MLA, Harvard Citations UK Austrialian variations supported, Chicago NotesBibliography, Chicago AuthorDate.
* Ecco Pro EO PRO, the Personal Information Manager with the most awards in history, brings together your contacts, calendar, appointments, tasks and projects in one integrated, customizable application. Even in todays operating environments of Windows XP or Vista, this amazing piece of software, with a development stop in , still shows it strength compared to todays PIM;s. With EO PRO you always have the information you need at your fingertips!
o Seems to have become very popular among users of notebook / organizing software over the last year or so
o Recommended by the Atlantic Monthly;s James Fallows Comes in Professional . and Standard . versions for Mac OS X
* TreePad TreePad? is an awardwinning Personal Information Manager, Organizer, Daase, and Word Processor. Porility and compactness are smoothly blended into TreePad? with its other distinctive features versatility and power, as well as simplicity and intuitiveness of use.
* Google Notebook Research the web, take notes, then manage share your notes online
o Comes in Standard . and Academic . versions for Mac OS X
* Circus Ponies Notebook Similar user intece to Aquaminds Notetaker. Closest thing to Microsoft OneNote on OS X, but designed with an outliner structure as the fundamental building block which in my view, makes a huge difference in usability; OneNote is not really usable as a single pane outliner for power users and writers except in a crude sense. Most of the same features as Notetaker, with a few aimed at closer integration to other OS X programs.
* AskSam askSam is a flexible and powerful way to organize information and create searchable daases from Web s, Email, PDF files, s, and Word documents. For over years askSam has been the choice of researchers and other information professionals. See why over , businesses, organizations, and iniduals rely on askSam. askSam Pro includes all the great features of askSam plus full indexing to give you lightningst searches.
* Biblioscape Bibliographic software to help researchers organize reference collections, research notes, generate citations and a bibliography for publication, compile notes into outline to generate a final draft with le of contents, search and capture references on the web, etc.
* SmartOutline SmartOutline is professional freeform information management software that allows you to organize, secure, collaborate and work with information in new and innovative ways. SmartOutline operates from a treelike or Explorer intece. After adding information to your outline, you can save it to an .OUT; outline document format. From there, export to many popular office file formats and share with others. You can write notes, add calendar events, reference articles or even annotate any web using shapes, clip art and highlighting tools. Two versions
* Ariadne Ariadne is a bed browser IE overlay, with a built in popup window manager, that permits the user to harvest any data from the internet local server to ulate, sort, outline or shuffle it into any order or form that is convenient. The user can search locally on the internet by several means store, group, highlight, link and bookmark any of it. In addition, Ariadne also has a working calendar, todo lists, popup alarms, usage history more.
DEVONthink Personal Home and small office .
* ZuluPad ZuluPad is a notepad on crack. It;s a place to jot down class notes, appointments, todo lists, vorite websites, annotated bookmarks, pretty much anything you can think of. The great thing about ZuluPad is that it combines the best parts of a notepad with the best parts of a wiki, a concept made popular by Wikipedia. The basic idea has been called a personal wiki or a desktop wiki.
o Standard . and Network . versions for Windows
* ListPro Create shopping lists, to do lists, checklists, or any list you need! ListPro makes it easy to organize and use your information however you want. Manage your time, remember all your errands, stay on track and take your lists everywhere you go.
* NoteMap Supported by LexisNexis Our NoteMap outliner makes it super easy to create, edit and use outlines ? r easier than creating outlines with wordprocessing software.
o with a variety of additional plugins for collecting web data available for more; Windows Windows Mobile
* Sproutliner Sproutliner is a free web service that helps you manage your projects and ideas think of it as a supercharged structured todo list. It uses some rather smashing clientside technology to make things as quick and easy as possible, without forcing you to worry about hitting ;submit; to save your precious data.
* Backpack Organize your business and share information with your team. An Intranet in Seconds. Over , Accounts! Todos, Announcements, Ideas, Files. Easily centralize share information across your organization. Keep a Group Calendar Online. Keep everyone;s schedule online with a coded calendar.
o Standard for . and Education for . for Windows
o NY Times featured Free for Windows accepts donations
* Zoot Zoot is a personal information manager used by writers, researchers, students, scholars, and maybe you! Zoot offers a highly efficient process for collecting, classifying and prioritizing information so that it can be viewed in meaningful timeframes and cons.
DEVONnote Basic note taking and organizing .
o Get ListPro on your Windows Mobile Pocket PC or Smartphone, Palm OS Handheld, or Windows PC for only .; Get ListPro Professional Edition and run ListPro on your desktop and one Windows Mobile or Palm OS device. Synchronize or share lists quickly and easily for only .
* iOutliner iOutliner is a powerful way to manage your tasks, ideas, and projects in structured lists. Simple to use and customizable to the way you work and best of all its completely FREE
DEVONthink Pro Advanced functionality, office use .
o Free; webbased for IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.
* Debrief Debrief? is software for notes relating to experience, ideas, activities, contacts, and more. Where do you keep your notes today? Spiral binders, legal pads, composition books, scraps of ? How st can you find an idea you jotted down last week, last month, or last year? Imagine keeping your notes in one place, and not misplacing them again. Notes are the core purpose of Debrief notes software. Make a note one time, and view it in many different cons by date, like a journal, log, or diary. Or by subject folder, like files in a drawer. And they can be viewed within additional cons of the features mentioned below. Notes are searchable too.
* Keynote Tabbed notebook with RichText editor, multilevel notes and strong encryption. Added new features to Marek;s KeyNote checkboxes on children of selected nodes, hidden nodes, alarms on nodes.
NoteTabStd Similar to NoteTab Light, but adds several useful features like a thesaurus, a multilingual spell checker, outline editing, EBCDIC file editing, customizable menu shortcuts, Clipbars, etc. All this extra functionality for only . US! There is no trial version, but you can install NoteTab Light to see what it;s like.
o Comes in Standard . and Professional . versions for Windows
DEVONthink Pro Office Plus less office functionality .
o Standard , Educational for Windows
Standard It includes the references and notes module. Users can add notes to a reference inside the reference window. References can also be dragged and dropped into a note without leaving the note window. It can open a remote daase through BiblioRemote server. .
o Pricing information not available website was down; for Windows
* UltraRecall Ultra Recall is personal information / knowledge / document management software for Microsoft Windows. It helps you easily capture, organize, and recall all of your electronic documents and information across all the applications that you use.
* Aquaminds Notetaker Sister product to Circus Ponies Notebook they shared the same code base for OS X;s predecessor, NeXT OS, and have a similar feel, though they have erged. Uses a notebook metaphor which will be initially confusing to pure singlepane outliner users, but it definitely is a singlepane outliner basically it adds the ability to split your single outline into sections. Tab views. Live indexes for instance, you might use it to jump to any of your outline that mentions a client;s name. Rudimentary daase functionality. Has workgroup features for notebook sharing.
* Evernote Evernote allows you to easily capture information in any environment using whatever device or platform you find most convenient, and makes this information accessible and searchable at any time, from anywhere.
* TaoNotes TaoNotes Pro manages your tasks and notes organized as outline structure suppoting some additional dimensions for ranging notes statuses, flags, priorities.
* TAO no relation to TAO Notes for Windows Most features of any singlepane outliner I;ve seen in current production. Cloning! Hoisting, filtering. A little less Maclike than the others lots of square buttons, Windows intece. Graphical document map sidebar. Not programmable yet.
o Comes in Plus . or Safe . versions that run on Windows.
o Biblioscape has introduced two new modules Categories and Compositions. You can now tag records and write a thesis using Biblioscape. Version also organizes all research information in a single tree structure.
* Tinderbox Tinderbox stores and organizes your notes, plans, and ideas. It can help you analyze and understand them. And Tinderbox helps you share ideas through Web journals and web logs.
o Award winning software with accolades from PC Magazine, NY Times, Business Week and PC World
* Diigo Diigo is a powerful research tool and a knowledgesharing community
* WikiPad WikiPad is a Wikilike notebook for storing your thoughts, ideas, todo lists, contacts, or anything else you can think of to write down.